Sunday, September 25, 2011

Review: Daughter of Smoke and Bone


Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor
ARC Pages: 432
Pub. Date: September 27, 2011
Rating:
Around the world, black handprints are appearing on doorways, scorched there by winged strangers who have crept through a slit in the sky.                                                                                             In a dark and dusty shop, a devil's supply of human teeth  grown dangerously low.                                                                                                       And in the tangled lanes of Prague, a young art student is about to be caught up in a brutal otherworldly war.                                                                                                                                                         Meet Karou. She fills her sketchbooks with monsters that may or may not be real; she's prone to disappearing on mysterious "errands"; she speaks many languages—not all of them human; and her bright blue hair actually grows out of her head that color. Who is she? That is the question that haunts her, and she's about to find out.                                                                                                                                                                                               When one of the strangers—beautiful, haunted Akiva—fixes his fire-colored eyes on her in an alley in Marrakesh, the result is blood and starlight, secrets unveiled, and a star-crossed love whose roots drink deep of a violent past. But will Karou live to regret learning the truth about herself?
First sentence: "Walking to school over the snow-muffled cobbles, Karou had no sinister premonitions about the day."

First of all, how awesome is the title? I mean really : Daughter of Smoke and Bone. The second I saw that, I wanted to read this book partly so I could say when someone asked, "oh yea, I just finished reading Daughter of Smoke and Bone. What about you?" And the other person would say "you know.... just some book." while secretly shoving her copy of Twilight under her bed. Then I read what it was about and I was practically drooling. For some reason the Book Gods took pity on me and allowed me to win an ARC of this book. Thus here is my rant on why you should get up on September 27 at 12:00 am and get a copy of this book.
Laini Taylor has a way with words. The scenery painted on page one completely surrounded me and I could practically feel the cold wind blowing in my face. I was completely sucked me in. I loved it. So inventive and mystical. Daughter of Smoke and Bone had a perfect pace and hit me with witty banter, shocking answers, and tear-jerking moments. There were so many funny moments in the book and I loved all the places (Poison Kitchen), but also had emotional chapters that made me love the characters even more.
And awesome names. Seriously awesome names.

review:
The plot starts off with Karou being playfully "attached" by Kazimir-(her ex-boyfriend who she met at Mustache Bar *ponders self with a handle bar mustache*) and then seeing him naked in her life drawing class (I’ll admit, i giggled...and swooned, but only a bit). Karou is a mysterious girl with blue hair and tattoos of eyes on her palms. She’s an art student in Prague and one of her many sketch books contains a story of a woman-serpent hybrid named Issa, Twiga who has a giraffe's neck, Yasri with the parrot-beak and Brimstone who has ram-horns. Everyone should have paid more attention to her tattoos on each wrist saying “true” and “story”, because she wasn’t lying-they're real and Karou runs errands for Brimstone, a wise dude who sells wishes for teeth and also happened to have raised Karou. Pretty bizare, Chimera raising a human, but the craziest thing is not even that: angels have returned after a long time of being gone and started burning handprints onto the doors of Chimera......Ok I guess it’s all equally crazy. One of these angels (aka Seraphim) is Akiva, who is beautiful beyond words and has a sudden and confusing interest in Karou. Now you’re left with a million and one questions: What the hell is Karou? Why is cold, normally soulless Akiva so attached to Karou? And seriously, what the hell are the teeth for? We eventually learn the answer in this book and get some back story on Karou, which makes it almost feel like two stories in one. There was action and ass kicking, but also love scenes that melted my heart. This book had the perfect balance of everything. And Laini Taylor really knows how to keep you guessing and revealed answers at the perfect pace, but still left me wanting more. Especially since there’s a major cliff-hanger at the end which made me go “oh shit, what did he do? He didnt, no! why? but i love him. he didn’t. he didn’t. he did. NO.
…….Im changing the ending. but damn it, it's perfect how it is. *pouts*

I want to be Karou. She's smart, strong, doesn't let anyone push her around, and throws her hot, asshole ex into a window (by accident, but still). If that's not enough, she has: blue hair, sick tattoos to match and amazing drawing skills. Gimme. Akiva is like a lost little puppy that happens to be otherworldly sexy, but confused and lonely. Can I keep him? pretty please? 
what this book taught me.....
  • I want to taze someone once because Zuzana says it’d be fun.
  • Revenge can be as simple as an itch
  • If I had a gavriel, I would soooo wish for the same thing Karou did.
  • What you think is evil could be good and what you think is good could be evil. Kinda throws my world upside down. I think I just gave myself a headache.
  • This ones kinda....inappropriate at the end,so I didn't want to make anyone uncomfotable, but if you can handle it...*highlight at your own risk* --> "Don't put anything unnecessary into yourself. No poisons or chemicals. No fumes or smoke or alcohol, no sharp objects, no inessential needles...and no inessential penises, either"(ARC p. 22) - advice from Brimstone and something I will use as a guide in life from now on
*Disclorure: This review is for an ARC of Daughter of Smoke and Bones that I won in a contest*

3 comments:

  1. You have some epic review style. Srsly. Love the tidbits at the end and that last one? OMFG I'm going to need to use that. I've had this book in my pile for a while and I freaked out over Lips Touch so I really need to get to reading this.

    And I do believe I shall promote you on my blog, my young newbie friend. You deserve it. You slam dunked that review and you'll only have good things to come in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Donna, I'm loving your review style. I'm really loving the bit at the bottom, "What This Book Taught Me".

    Keep up the good work, you've done what nobody has been able to do so far and that's make me interested in this book. I didn't think it would be my thing but I've changed my mind. Kudos to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Donna: Thanks for the compliment :) I'm amazed that an amazing blogger like you actually likes my review! You really didn't have to promote me, but THANK YOU! I actually can't stop smiling right now =D

    Rowena: Thanks! my goal as a blogger is to help others find awesome books to read and the fact that I helped you already makes me ridiculously happy. I hope you like it! :)

    ReplyDelete